CivicActions has been working with the Congress for the New Urbanism since the fall of 2006 on Drupal and CiviCRM website implentation.
- Congress for the New Urbanism (http://www.cnu.org) has been using CiviCRM since 2006. Currently the Drupal 6 website is running with CiviCRM version 3.2.
- The earliest implementation of CiviCRM predated much of what we currently have come to take for granted in CiviCRM, most notably CiviContribute. A previous consultant had developed their own contribution system that worked within CiviContribute. Our challenge was replacing this system while maintaining the current data.
- CNU uses CiviCRM to manage their member database and donations through CiviMember and CiviContribute. Authorize.net is setup as the payment processor. There are multiple membership levels and those are achieved with different CiviMember types. Access to members only portions of the website is controlled based on CiviMember membership rules and roles synchronization with Drupal.
- Drupal Block Visibility and Access Control based on roles is used to remind users that their membership is about to expire or has just expired and they should renew.
- A member directory is available to other members. This is achieved with a CiviCRM profile that is limited to listing contacts within a smart group. The smart group criteria consists of contacts with a current membership who have selected a value in a custom field indicated that they wish to be listed. If either criteria is not met, the contact is not displayed in the member directory.
- CivicActions developed a custom module "ZIP-to-County" which populates the County field on a location based upon the postal ZIP code. This is used by CiviCRM to facilitate print mailings, as well as local chapter designations.
- CNU also has numerous local chapters. Some are state wides, while others cover only specific counties within a state. Users can also opt-in to a chapter other than the one they would be geographically placed in based on their address. These chapters exist as smart groups based on search builder searches. The smart groups are used for mailing and other membership purposes.
- CNU also uses CiviContribute to manage an accreditation process which involves testing fees. Custom fields have been added to a particular type of contribution record in order to manage the necessary information.
- The CNU database has less than 15,000 individual contacts, many of which have extensive contribution/membership histories.
CivicActions empowers social-change organizations with emerging technologies. We support the global movement of people and organizations building a sustainable future by providing Drupal, CiviCRM and mobile application development though our unrivaled Scrum project management methodology. Our team consists of nearly 40 engineers, strategists, designers and project managers who have deployed more than 100 Drupal and CiviCRM-powered websites since 2005 for progressive organizations including Amnesty International, Center for Reproductive Rights, Women's Funding Network and the Free Software Foundation. We are known as one of the largest and most-experienced Drupal and CiviCRM development firms and we are committed to taking action in the world, for positive, sustainable change.
For more information, visit http://civicactions.com/services/civicrm_implementation