This page is work in progress documentation for Civi Rules.
Civi Rules is based on the Drupal Rules module and does react on an event (post create contribution) and executes a certain action when certain conditions are met.
This page will contain what we have thought of what needs to be done to develop such an extension. Rather than just starting (what we have done with trigger-action extension) this one is a bit more thought of. So this description is also a basic for a wider debate on how things should work.
- The action should be basically API actions
- Should be flexible to extend by developers. E.g. it should be easy to add new event types, new condition types, new action types
- Rules (event, condition and condition) should be stored in the database as well as in code, like Drupal Views and Drupal Rules.
- It should be possible to extend the storage layer
- It should use the queue mechanism of CiviCRM Core (take a look at scheduled reminders on how to use this queue mechanism)
- It should be possible to send e-mail, sms, print pdf letter as an action
The following needs to be done. This are the actions we identified so far
- Create the basic framework for the rules extension
- (API) action for sending e-mail
- (API) action for sending SMS
- (API) action for printing PDF Letter
Below a description of the framework