MySQL 5.1.46 Installation and Configuration
This version of MySQL for windows is supplied as an executable that also provides advanced configuration options.
- Create a new directory C:\MYSQL
- Install by executing "mysql-essential-5.1.46-win32.msi" in the installations folder.
- Choose Custom Setup Type as this gives more options on how MySQL is installed
- Choose to install both the MySQL engine and the MySQL data to C:\MYSQL (allows backups to take place easily without problems with the 'space' character in the filename)
The MySQL data will automatically be placed in a 'data' directory under C:\MYSQL\
- Accept all other default installation suggestions.
After the installation completes, the option to Configure the MySQL Server now; please select and choose the following options:
- Detailed Configuration
- Server Machine
- Multifunctional Database
- 'Next >'
- Decision Support
- Enable TCP/IP on port 3306 and add firewall exception; enable strict mode.
- Standard Character Set
- Install as Windows Service (MySQL)
- Include bin Directory (True)
- Set the username to <mysql_root_username> and <mysql_root_password> DO NOT FORGET!
- Do not allow remote access!
- Execute the configuration script
Before continuing, testing of the MySQL database engine must be completed. Execute Start>My SQL> MySQL Command Line Client
- Enter the password when prompted, if no errors are stated, the mysql engine is working.
- As a second test, to test server restarts, access the windows command prompt
- Type NET STOP mysql
- Type NET START mysql
Both these tests should complete successfully.
- Open the C:\MYSQL\my.ini file and confirm the following default settings:
Restart the server again for the system to recognise the new environment variable that was added by the MySQL Installation script. Note that logging off and back on will NOT work for system environment variables like User variables.
Enhancing performance on MySQL can only take place after a few weeks of use. However, the following settings should be configured in the C:\MYSQL\my.ini file to have optimum performance from the start:
- Open the C:\MYSQL\my.ini file for edit
- Ensure that the following changes are made: