[No Subject]

Objet:   [No Subject] (trouver plus)
Date:   Dec 08, 2005 16:54

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:54:23 -0800
From: Dave Greenberg <caché>
Sender: caché
To: "CiviCRM: General discussion around development" <caché>
Subject: Re: [Crm-dev] Non-US Geocoding + Import of Coordinates

V -
The geocode lookup config setting tells CiviCRM to lookup and populate
lat / long fields for a contact record...
* when a new record is created
* when a record is updated

There are currently two 'built-in' methods for this lookup. A call to
geocoder.us (RPC method), or a local lookup in the zipcodes DB table
(which can be optionally installed w/ CivicSpace).

Neither of these currently available methods is relevant for non-US
addresses. At some point we hope/expect that folks will build
alternative lookup 'plug-ins' which will work for non-US addresses.

The specific issue w/ RPC lookup method and Imports is a performance
bottleneck - since Imports may be creating tens of thousands of
records, and each create would require a call to the geocoder.us
server to get lat / long.

Hope that clarifies things :-)
dave

--
Best regards,
Dave Greenberg

Creative Commons License
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States Licence.