Changes in the community are coming and we'd like to prepare for a more organized plan to involve community in triage, bug fixing and other efforts. Conversation with Nicolas and Allen Shaw produced this idea for "Community Fridays".
What is Community Friday?
- Rather than contribute X number of days whenever per month of community effort
- We politely suggest that each Friday (your local time) we each get involved doing something for the CiviCRM community
- By focusing all our efforts at a specific time (like a mini-sprint) we coordinate and amplify our efforts
What can I do?
- Whatever you feel suited for or interested in: bug fixing, documentation, marketing, etc.
- Think of it as a mini-sprint spread globally, people will divide their efforts as they see fit and/or are asked
How much should I do?
Whatever what you think is fair and necessary for your business
Something more than none
An hour or two? Maybe more
If this Friday is a holiday for you, okay, no problem
Who can participate?
- Contributors, end-users and partners across the world!
But what about time zones?
- Our global community is actually an advantage
- AUS/NZ start off the party, their Friday is Thursday elsewhere, perfect for making lists, raising issues that need attention and getting started
- The baton is then passed to India team, who work on these issues
- UK/Europe then review, test, document and add patches of their own
- It finishes in North America, with more fixes, testing, documentation and so on
How will we communicate?
- Primarily on Mattermost
- This Friday's issues will be posted and then discussed in each channel or sub-channel
- Issues will be updated in JIRA as needed, assigned to people and releases for testing and merging as usual
What's in it for me?
- Benefit your business by ensuring that CiviCRM remains a solution for your clients and prospects
- Maintain and improve the reliability of the CiviCRM codebase and documentation
- Influence the priorities and direction of the CiviCRM project
- Acquire and maintain your 'contributor badge' by entering your hours volunteered on the contributor log form