Mailing list management
- Create a group that will be used as a mailing list for people to subscribe to upcoming events. Make sure to include a description of your mailing list that explains how it will be used.
- Log out and have a look at the /civicrm/mailing/subscribe page. Can you see your mailing list there? If not, change its configuration so that it is visible of this page.
- Subscribe to your new upcoming events list with an email address that you can access from the class.
- Log back in and have a look at your groups tab. What do you see? Are you a member of the group?
- Check your Inbox for a confirmation email. If you find one, click on it.
- Log back in and have a look at your groups tab. What do you see now?
- Set up a reminder (Administer > Communications > Schedule Reminders) that will notify staff about meetings that have not been completed the day after they were scheduled. Set this reminder to repeat on a weekly basis until the activity has been completed.
Working with mailings and templates
- Create a new footer for use with your events mailing list. Ensure that the footer has a customised footer with both opt out and unsubscribe links. Add explanatory text to each link to explain what will happen when each of the links are clicked.
- Create, test and send an email to your events group.
More exercises to try:
- Use the the A/B test functionality to prepare a mailing that will have tow versions for your list.
- What are the differences of an email sent using CiviCRM and CiviMail? You may want to send one of each to yourself to see how each looks.
- Determine how many emails will be sent on each run of the scheduled job for CiviMail.
- Extra challenging - setup a scheduled reminder to go out 30 days before a membership expires.