How do I import files created on a Macintosh?
Macintosh created files have line endings that may cause a problem with CiviCRM importing. Symptoms are:
- CiviCRM Map Fields page does not recognize the rows in your data file, but sees the file as one huge record.
- CiviCRM may throw a fatal error after upload.
One solution, suggested by Noel Hidalgo, is:
A second solution will allow folks to upload Mac files without the above steps, but requires shell access to your server:
- Open /opt/local/etc/php.ini in your favorite editor (you may need root privileges to do this).
- Look for the following setting in the Fopen wrappers section (near line 525):
auto_detect_line_endings = On
- If this line is commented out, or set to Off, change the value to On as shown above.
- Stop and start your local instance of Apache
$ sudo /opt/local/etc/rc.d/apache2.sh stop
$ sudo /opt/local/etc/rc.d/apache2.sh start
A third option is to use OpenOffice.org which supports utf-8 encoding of CSV files.